On Fri, Jan 19, 2007, Diego Iastrubni wrote about "Re: How Can We Help to Make
this Happen?":
> ביום שישי 19 ינואר 2007, 12:51, נכתב על ידי Nadav Har'El:
> I want mixed languages spell chcking out of the box. Lets say:
> locale+english.
> This means that it will use the default locale for checking words, and then
> some english spell checker. I don't mind about hspell/myspell, I don't really
> care about the underlaying engine, just the results. Even if it costs me
> 2-5MB of memory.

It's almost, but not quite "out of the box" (on Fedora, you need to ask
to install the openoffice.org-langpack-he_I package which isn't installed by
default, or use the menus to add a dictionry). Your other other requirement
is already fulfilled: multilingual spell-checking already works very well.
Perhaps you're confusing OpenOffice with Mozilla, where indeed you're forced
to choose a specific language and can't spell-check mixed language files.

It could have been better, (much) faster, and take up (much) less memory
than it does now (your 5 MB estimate is very optimistic) with the myspell
dictionary, but it more-or-less works. Maybe the memory/startup-time
situation will improve once we start taking advantages of the new "hunspell"
features to make the dictionary smaller.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |       Friday, Jan 19 2007, 1 Shevat 5767
Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |I want to live forever or die in the