On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Ira Abramov wrote:

Speaking of respect, it would be a miracle if anybody would show any.

I respect people who deserve it (hint, not people who take Alan's name
in vain)

Which Alan ? I'll see your Alan and raise you an ESR (author of Bogofilter). It's just proper for a dracnoic security measure to be implemented by a guy who is a known gun nut, I think.

Either that, or a typo. In the land of bilk and honey people show
respect when they have secondary motives.

Sounds like California to me. Live there for a while, hated the
awkwardness of the communication with people. It seems they ALWAYS have
secondary AND tertiary motives (in soap operas - sometimes quaternary,
and even quinary).

To each his own horseshades. I come from Europe and I will never get used to rudeness. The clowns at the local grocery who invariably chat while standing in the door and will not budge to let clients in or out without shoving are risking their lives daily but they don't know it. There are people who try such things over there too. They try it ONCE. After that they no longer work there and get banned as clients.

On the other hand, I've been living in TA for 15 years and I have developed a keen sense of danger when someone smiles openly and shakes my hand and chats me up. I immediately assure my back, pat my wallet to make sure it is still there, check that the cell phone is still in my pocket, and start the wayback machine to try to work out in what context I am about to be s*****d, while keeping a lokout for any accomplices approaching.

Peter