Thanks for the information.  But I guess I need to connect HylaFAX to
a phone line such as bezek.  For each fax I will pay bezek a small
fee.  It's not worth it since I want to give a free service, and also
it will waste so much paper!  120 papers each time.  That's why I
prefer sending by E-mail, although I'm aware that there are more
chances they read their faxes and ignore E-mails (at least some of
them).

By the way, I checked some online fax services and they charge about
$0.10 per sent fax.  120 faxes will cost me $12.  It's far too
expensive.  E-mail is free!

Uri.

On 3/7/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 05:15:41AM +0200, Uri Even-Chen wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Geoffrey S. Mendelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >No, but you can send 120 single faxes using Hylfax.
>
> Where do I find more information about Hylfax?

Look it up with the correct spelling. I mistyped it, it's HYLAFAX.
Sorry.

It's a system that runs on a *NIX (it was first run on IRIX)  that
provides a full serivce FAX system. If you don't want to receive
faxes, you can use it as a send only system.

It has all sorts of features and a several contributed packages such as an
email to fax gateway, a printer que to fax driver, and several Windows
clients.

I use it under Linux with an Intel HAM clone modem, but you can use
almost any faxmodem you can get. The less "intelligent" the modem the
better.

For best results, IMHO, feed it ASCII text or postscript files. It
uses ghostscript to RIP the page images, so you can easily configure
it to print almost anything.

For example, you can send a fax by using the command:

       sendfax -d <phone-number> <files>

or without a generated cover page:

       sendfax -n -d <phone-number> <files>

files can be 1 or more files, and each file can be one or more pages.

With some clever programing, you can write a PERL or similar program
to generate a postsrcipt cover letter, complete with a customized name
and an image of your signature, a customized letter and then send them to
a fax. Combine it with a file of names, and you can send each MK, or
each contributor, member of your group, etc personalized letters.

If you are doing this not 100% open source, you could use an Access
database, WordBasic for the program and the Windows Hylafax client to
send them.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838