On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:18:47AM +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> The "proper" way to do that is to use a T.38 gateway so your T.38 FAX
> machine actually sends IP packets with the data to the gateway which will
> then convert it back to POTS analogue signal for the other side.

It depends. IMHO the proper way would be a Hylafax gateway where you wanted
to send the faxes. It will handle all of the functions of error recovery,
resending incomplete faxes, busy signals etc.

If you need to scan something to fax, you can scan it to a JPEG or TIFF
file and use the convert command (which has been part of most Linux
distros for a long time) to make a postscript file out of it.

In the late 1990's someone set up a world wide network of free fax
servers, but it never got very far. I think they have a gateway in Israel.

It uses their own front end to Hylafax.

Don't ask me what it is, I can't remember or I would have mentioned it
by name.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838