* Amos Shapira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070709 11:13]:
> On 09/07/07, Dan Kenigsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >occasional VisualDev. I guess that with modern systems which have the vt
> >cpu
> >extension, kvm+qemu would be a free, open, and competitive choice.
>

> That's what my hunch also tells me (based on not much of personal experience
> but generally following the news).
> But where does kvm+qemu stand today in terms of usability for someone who
> just wants things to work? Is it as easy as "apt-get install kvm qemu" or
> will I have to start digging the net for work around and war stories for
> every stage in the installation? If I don't have more then, say, 12 hours
> total (probably spread over a calendar week or two) to set this up am I
> better off going the VMware way or what?

If you want nice guis and the like VMware is probably the way. If you
are willing to run a script then it should be as easy as:

sudo apt-get install kvm module-assistant kvm-source qemu
sudo m-a auto-install kvm
qemu-img -f qcow2 disk.img 10G
kvm -hda disk.img -cdrom /dev/cdrom -boot d

Future runs are just:
kvm -hda disk.img

This should setup user network which works most of the time :-)

Cheers,
Baruch