I ran WindowsXP/Centos/Solaris etc. in  VMWare for a long time on an amd64
host. It worked fine with the exception of USB device support (scanner,
camera etc). It did have a lot of resource overhead though. I kept a dual
boot windows partition around for certain hardware that didn't work well in
VMWare, and for BIOS upgrades (the only thing Windows is really usefull,
although not required, for.) I am now interested in moving away from vmware
because of the overhead. The ease of use of VMWare is only an advantage
during the learning curve period of lesser friendly management systems. In
the long run, I found that if the system overhead is high (ala VMWare) I will
keep it running less and it will effect my efficiency.

If you are going to do other, linux, virtualization, I would like to recommend
vserver. I have a P4 dev machine with 1GB RAM and I run 7 virtual machines on
it simultaneously, 24/7. It runs a debian host and debian and centos clients.
(On my home system I have even installed a Gentoo client under my Debian
host.)  Overhead is very low. It amazes my friends (and bosses).

On Monday 09 July 2007 08:32:03 Amos Shapira wrote:
> On 09/07/07, Eran Sandler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To give context for my question - I've just bought a Dell desktop based on
> Intel Core 2 Duo and installed Debian Etch (amd64) on it,

A bit off topic but why try to install amd64 on an Intel chip? Why not "Intel
IA-64"

Chaim