On Monday, 25 בAugust 2008, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Since there are always swings around about "best linux support" which
> I didn't follow, what's the order of the day? Should go with nVidia,
> AMD or maybe Intel? Any specific card families/models?

* Intel would be best:
    1. Full OSS drivers on any recent distro.
    2. Good integration with the rest of x.org [xrandr etc.])
  But.... They don't sell cards, only on-board chipsets.

* My second choice today would be ATI cards:
    1. As someone else mentioned older (e.g: r300) chipsets have
       pretty good support in the FOSS driver (including
       simple 3D, compiz etc.)
    2. AMD/ATI released hardware specs last year and started
       cooperating with FOSS community, which is significant for
       the newer cards (http://www.x.org/docs/AMD)
    3. Because of (2.), there is better support for modern cards
       on the pipe. Specifically, David Airlie (one of X.org developers
       from Red Hat) already announced not long ago about major
       improvements in r500/r600 chipsets. This is bleeding edge
       source in his git repository, but it is reasonable to expect
       this code to land within 6-12 months in fast paced distros
       (Debian testing, Fedora, etc.)

* nVidia have:
    1. The best proprietary Linux support ;-)
    2. The worst FOSS support.
    3. Someone else on this thread already detailed some
       of the problems it brings (updates, cards with quick
       End-Of-Life, etc.)

* The only worse alternatives than nVidia are all the
  VIA, SIS and their unloved, binary, non-supported, blobs.

Bye,

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron
"In theory, it's practical. In practice - it's only a theory".