On Tuesday, 26 בAugust 2008, Omer Zak wrote:
> Plans of mice and men always change.  ATI might fold 8 months from now,
> or be taken over by nVidia and have its product lines discontinued, or
> switch to solar powered 3D holographic displays.

Omer, you somehow miss my point.

I'm not talking about some abstract future covered with nice ATI promises.

This is *working* FOSS code written outside of ATI:
  http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati.git
Please note who host the source, and the names of the commiters
(I found only one working for ATI).

Your skepticism would have been valid a year ago when ATI promised
to improve the FOSS drivers and docs -- at that time it was only
words.

However, they actually shipped the docs and are actually helping the
developers, so we *already* have functional code.

The only "futuristic" part about this is the normal time to test,
debug, issue pre-releases (as you can see there were several),
have distros package and release etc. This is the normal process
done daily by any other FOSS project and any distro.

Your argument is equivalent to saying: "How can you bank on Java
if something would happen to Sun and they won't ship your free
software Java implementation?"

... Ah, but Sun already released Java as GPLv3. The missing parts
have already been completed. It only takes some time for distros
to package and ship this work (BTW: some distros like my (anonymous)
distro already did it).

I'll stop chewing this thread as it must have bored all other
subscribers by now.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  http://www.actcom.co.il/~oron
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware