I think the relevant line in my /etc/fstab is the equivalent of what
you suggested, but for some reason, all files "seem" to be owned by
root, rather than the actual owner, so I use smb:// or fish:// in KDE
Dolphin and then I can access files properly.

The fstab line is:

//pi/PI-PUBLIC /mnt/PI-PUBLIC cifs
user,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.pi.solomon 0 0