On Monday, 27 December 2021 18:01:14 IST Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> I have a shared disk on my Raspberry Pi accessed on my several
> computers as PI-PUBLIC. I access the drive using smb:// or fish://
> or directly from the /mnt defined in /etc/fstab and can read, write,
> delete files from KDE programs - for example Kwrite, Okular, etc.
>
> I have 2 related(??) problems saving files to the share from a non-KDE
> program.
>
> Problem #1
> In LibreOffice (for example) , I get:
> "Error saving the document Untitled 1: Object not accessible. The
> object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights."

cifs/smb is a BAD idea to use for file update , better work locally and
overwrite it.
fish is a wrapper , try using sshfs (still bad idea , but safer) as it will
fail in more clear way.

In practise I found the safest way to collaborate over network  was git-svn
(keep your pitchforks aside git is great but don't have per file locks that are
so needed for binary files), or just to work locally and then overwrite the
original file.
Multi connection edits over the network is a guarantee for a headache later.

> But I DO have user rights since KDE programs DO work.

Both fish and cifs/smb have an underlying protocols, which errors are
translated, so some type of errors in ssh/filesystem would be translated to no
permission  in KIO level (your ui) where the original problem was no access for
example (I personally fixed such case in one of the cifs versions many years
ago).
There was a set of errors that can happen due to many problems , but you use a
standard errno to bring it up, sometimes we (developers) make bugs and choose
not the best option (sorry in advance).

> Some programs don't even "warn" that the file has not been saved.
>

> Problem #2
> If I save to (for example) the Desktop, I can then drag-and-drop the
> file to the network drive, but if I later open it and want to make
> changes, when I try to save, I get a message box saying:
> "The file smb://solomon@pi/PI-PUBLIC/Documents/tst.odt has been
> modified. Do you want to upload the changes?"

This can happen if file modif date is changed between your file and networked
drive file, to verify you can check the modif date on the network file and
compare it to your original modif date.