On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 09:05:59 +0200
borissh1...@gmail.com wrote:

> file locks that are so needed for binary files), or just to work
> locally and then overwrite the original file. Multi connection edits
> over the network is a guarantee for a headache later.

Thanks. Although not really a "solution", I'm thinking of copying the
entire content of the share to my machine (disk space is cheap) and
creating, saving, changing, deleting files on my local copy. I would
then have a cron job to rsync to the share once an hour. So
effectively, the share would actually be a backup and rather than
actually working on the share.

To be clear, the reason for the share is to allow family members to
save on the network share which is regularly backed-up since I know my
wife and kids never back-up their computers.

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net