Randy,

You attempting to mix the Python scripting for data processing and
Python scripting for batch scripting. The two environments are
separate. Here's how I'd tackle it.

1. Make your "Programmable Source" become a temporal source i.e.
report to ParaView that it can produce timesteps matching the files
your file series. See [i]. If you get this right, you shuold be able
to render through all the files by hitting "Play" in the VCR control
in the UI.
2. Now you can write a batch script that either loads the predefined
pvsm state file or builds up the pipeline in Python itself and the
either uses `SaveScreenshot` or `SaveAnimation` to save out the
animation.

You can then mix in camera animations too. You can always use the
Python tracing in UI to figure out how to save images and/or animation
in the batch scripting environment.

Hope that helps.
Utkarsh

[i]