Long ago and far away (specifically, Northern Italy, 2007) I took a drive from
our B&B lodging around Lago Garda, a beautiful region favored as a vacation
spot since the Middle Ages if not earlier. Several small fishing villages
around the lake. I of course stopped at every village and took shots of the
fishing boats and other boats in the marinas & dock areas.

Two weeks later, back home, scrolling through the images on my computer, I kept
thinking to myself: “Self, where were you when you took that photo? Which
village was it? How can I properly caption the image if I don’t know the name
of the village!”

That’s why I bought a Garmin and used that to track my location until cameras
started to provide GPS tracking directly or via the O-1.
Most recently, yesterday I was working on a re-cap of our trip to the Norwegian
coast last March. Our published itinerary often did not agree with what/where
actually happened. Weather, ship propulsion issues, etc. The embedded GPS in
the metadata was hugely helpful!

Stan