Minox 35... I still have my Minox 35GT-E, which I purchased new in 1998. It is
a lovely camera and has made many great photos for me. I've currently got it
loaded with some Tri-X and may take it on my two-week excursion to the Right
Coast tomorrow.

Regards terminology, cameras like this, the Rollei 35, the Voigtländer Perkeo
II, etc, are "scale focus" cameras ... they have no rangefinder or TTL viewing
system, you focus by setting a distance on the focusing scale.  A true "zone
focusing camera" is even simpler than this: the focusing scale has no distance
markings, just symbols to indicate far, intermediate distances, and close up.

Zone focusing is a technique that can be used with any camera that has a
distance scale on the focusing mechanism. A DoF scale on the lens provides a
lot of convenience but isn't strictly necessary since you can use a table of
aperture-distance to focus zone with just a distance setting and known aperture
on the camera.

With the Minox 35 and Rollei 35, for quick shooting, I leave the aperture at
f/11 and just have to remember two distance settings to be able to cover the
normal shooting range from around 1.5m to infinity (close: 1.5m to 3.5m, far:
2.5m to infinity, approximately). It's very easy to be very very fast making
this setting and makes most AF systems look lethargic by comparison once you
have it down.

And obviously, when you want to use a large lens opening and are working in
close, you have to measure or become much more accurate at estimating distance.
Accurate estimation comes with lots of practice... and once you get it, it is
instantaneous and unambiguous. :)

It seems to me that most people today just want the camera to do all this for
them, and then they fuss over focusing mode and targeting the precise subject,
complain when it doesn't do exactly what they thought, etc etc. The speed and
control that scale focus and zone focusing techniques lend to the picture
making process is why I will likely always remain a retro-grouch and love using
my antiquated cameras. :D

onwards, G

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List