After the weight of my new (13 months) K3III in my handlebar bag caused my bike
to fall over and but the Smart Function knob, I looked into OM-5s again.  The
price had dropped below my pain point, and since thanks to online shopping
there aren’t any convenient camera stores to look at them, I bought on on
Amazon, and if I don’t like it I’ll feel no guilt over returning it.

My one word review:
Adequate

My basic review of the Lumix GH3 was that I loved the size, was unimpressed by
the sensor/image quality and hated the UI.

The OM-5 is the same size, seems to have a substantially better sensor, and the
UI is better but really makes me appreciate my Pentax cameras.  I would not
want one as my primary camera, but for something light and convenient to carry,
if not use, it’ll work.

One example of something that I do on my pentax bodies that I can’t quite do on
the OM 5 is my nominal shooting modes are two stop bracketing, either nominal
and -2, or three stops shot in order of -2, nominal and +2.  First of all, with
the OM, I get at most one stop per frame, it also always shoots nominal first.
Another difference is that with the Pentax, one press of the shutter shoots all
of the bracket frames at once.

In daylight, the EVF, frankly, looks like shit.  It is little better than
giving me the shape of the objects in the frame.  I recognize that there are
advantages of EVF, particularly in low light, for manual focusing, focus
peaking is nice to have, and other info, but for the experience of photography,
not ready for prime, or even zoom, time.

Also the camera’s biggest strength is also a weakness, the small size makes it
awkward to shoot with, even with my tiny hands.

Battery life seems mediocre, I’m used to running on Pentax batteries for hours,
and this seems to be running low fairly quickly, but batteries are light and
can be bought cheaply.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com  sent from ret13est