> On May 11, 2024, at 10:32 PM, John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, May 11, 2024 at 04:50:59PM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:
>> After the weight of my new (13 months) K3III in my handlebar bag caused my
>> bike to fall over and but the Smart Function knob, I looked into OM-5s
>> again.  The price had dropped below my pain point, and since thanks to
>> online shopping there aren???t any convenient camera stores to look at them,
>> I bought on on Amazon, and if I don???t like it I???ll feel no guilt over
>> returning it.
>>
>> My one word review:
>> Adequate
>
> Hmm.
>
> I was considering getting an OM-5 as a backup/lighter alternative;
> I still feel nervous going anywhere with only a single camera body,
> even though I'v never yet had a digital camera body fail on me
> (and, in 50 years, only had two mechanical failures; once when my
> MX motor drive bent a drive shaft in my MX, and once when my PZ-1p
> objected to being used in rain, and took some time off to dry out.
> I don't count my MZ-S objecting to having its lens mount knocked
> off when I slipped climbing down from a photo tower and banged it
> hard against an upright - that was entirely my own fault).
>
> I suspect 'adequate' might still serve my purpose, although I will
> admit that I was verging towards the slightly newer OM-D E-M5 Mk III.

If you like the OM-1, then I suspect the OM-5 would be just fine for you.  I
also suspect that a lot of things that take the shine off for me aren’t things
that come up for you as often.  My shooting needs are generally very different
from yours.  If you don’t do a lot of bracketing of raw files, then my
complaints there are totally irrelevant, and even so may not be something that
bothers you.

> I'll be interested to see how you feel about it after a week or two.

This afternoon/evening we bopped by the Getty to play with cameras.  As things
got darker I ended up needing to lean on the ISO a bit harder, it’ll be
interesting to see how the images turn out.  On a quick look on my laptop, they
seem to be usable at 6400.

I was shooting with the 25/0.95 I bought from Boris and focus peaking went away
in Manual Focus mode.  I put one of the autofocus lenses on, and focus peaking
worked fine.  So, for some reason, manual focus assist does not work on manual
focus only lenses.

As we were leaving, I saw someone else waiting for the tram with a small retro
looking camera, thinking that it might be another Oly I took a closer look, it
was a Pentax MX!  I did tell him about PDML, he found the camera in his dad’s
attic and is interested in learning more about photography in general and the
camera in particular.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com  sent from ret13est