I have SPD mountain pedals on my road bike and tandem. They're very
important for the tandem, because so much communication happens through the
pedals. They're less essential for the road bike. I have flat pedals on my
main (commuter) bike, but bought flat cycling shoes for my rides because
they have stiffer soles. Chaos (my everyday footwear) are flexible enough
at the ball of the foot that the pressure was focused on a smallish area,
and my feet would go numb on long rides.