I used SPD's when I raced XC, but never enjoyed them.  I ride reasonably
long distances (50 to 130 miles) and while I'm sure I'm losing a little bit
of oomph on the climbs, my knees are much happier when I can move my foot
around at will.  I prefer flats for riding on slippery or sketchy stuff,
which I tend to do just about every ride, and really appreciate being able
to wear any shoe - most of my riding pals are struggling to keep their toes
warm over winter, limited by their cycling shoes, though there are some
good winter shoes out there these days.

I've thought about giving them a try again, but I've realized there's just
no reason to for me - I don't care about the marginal gains and I would
feel limited with how I like to ride