I'm not sure how many jars/MB we are using with CXF as the same
application is proof of concept for many other things and consumes 54
jars/55MB :).
I chose CXF because we wanted to use some of it features that Axis did
not have and I understood it was supposed to be Axis replacement, but
that was a long time ago, so there is ample evidence that it has not
happened ;).
Fortunately for me, we haven't needed to use that in production yet, so
with a bit more of luck, when we have to, things will be a little bit
clearer (haha fat chance :) ).

Good luck,
D.