On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 10:00:20 UTC+8 edgardi...@gmail.com wrote:

> The choice of the sign is arbitrary. So why make this change? What is the
> benefit?
> Most recent papers, algebra systems
> (Maple/Mathematica/Magma/Matlab/Oscar), and libraries
> (Pari/Flint/Mpmath/ARB) seemed to have picked B_1 = -1/2.
> Thus why put work into changing the default value and go against the
> current norm?
> By doing this you will generate a lot of unnecessary work to go from one
> arbitrary choice (that most people use) to another that few seem to use.

The people and CAS's who use B_1 = -½ are good, but wrong. The central
thesis of Luschny's manifesto is that B_1 = +½ shows the central place of
the Bernoulli numbers in all mathematics much better than B_1 = -½. As he
puts it in the closing paragraphs:

"I believe in the *unity of mathematics* as described by Barry Mazur… In
any case mathematics is not a bunch of disparate conventions which must be
maintained in its present form just to protect some mathematicians from a
possible confusion."

Every general-purpose CAS is an embodiment of said unity of mathematics,
and should strive to capture – make real – that unity as much as possible.
Yes, the Four Heavenly Kings (Magma, Maple, Mathematica, Matlab) may
provide B_1 = -½, but this is SageMath, an open-source *alternative* to all
of them. We don't have to follow them or any convention.

As well as that, SageMath originally stood for System for Algebra and
Geometry *Experimentation*. Given the almost excessive number of relations
between the Bernoulli numbers with B_1 = +½ and other mathematical
entities, I am confident that a secondary school/high school
student/undergraduate first introduced to the Bernoulli numbers with B_1 =
+½, and given SageMath with B_1 = +½, would have a lot more fun than if B_1
= -½ was initially given instead.

Finally I would like to drop a quip from the manifesto: "My impression is
that the number of modern authors who use B_1 = +½ is steadily increasing."

Jeremy Tan / Parcly Taxel