On Thu, Oct 6, 2022 at 8:45 AM John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi William,
> There is nothing in our department's bylaws to provide for a delay of voting,
> but we have a chair and we have an executive committee, and the hope is that
> they care not only about the particular issue at hand, but also about the
> atmosphere in the department. So if someone asked for a delay, probably the
> executive committee would consider it and make a decision. That would not
> likely result in a vote on whether to delay, but just a decision to delay the
> vote, and probably to schedule some meetings for discussion.
>   John

Thanks!  So it's basically this model that you already described:
"Alternatively, we have a steering committee that steps in to make
decisions, for example about the timing of votes, when there is
disagreement."   Having an elected steering committee is common in
other software projects I pay attention to (e.g., Python and Jupyter).

 -- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)