I just had another look at the voting thread, where most votes were voiced
in the first two days, and the almost-slient discussion thread, where
mostly a few practical aspects of the migrations were discussed. From this,
I don't get the impression that the most voters felt they needed more time
to think or discuss their decision.

In general, I would keep the voting system simple. The migration to github
was one particular vote, but for example the voting on the doc styles was
held without much of a prior discussion and on a shorter deadline.

So maybe something simple as the following?
"Small votes:" Have to have a github issue that is at least one week old,
don't require a discussion on the mailing list and the voting period cannot
be shorter than 4 days.
"Big votes": Require a discussion thread on the mailing list that is at
least one week old and the voting period cannot be shorter than 1.5 weeks.
Upon the public request of a single member of the mailing list, every
"small vote" can be upgraded to a "big vote". In this case, all previously
handed-in votes are invalid and a discussion thread has to be opened.