On Thu, Oct 06, 2022 at 09:25:26AM -0700, William Stein wrote:
> Thanks!  So it's basically this model that you already described:
> "Alternatively, we have a steering committee that steps in to make
> decisions, for example about the timing of votes, when there is
> disagreement."   Having an elected steering committee is common in
> other software projects I pay attention to (e.g., Python and Jupyter).

As another data point, in section 12.8 of his book "The Design and
Evolution of C++", Bjarne Stroustrup describes an invocation of a
"delay a vote to the next meeting" rule in the ANSI/ISO C++ standards
committee (which at the time typically met about 3 times per year):

  [[a proposal for extending the C++ language]] was presented at the
  standards meeting in Seattle in July 1990.  There appeared to be a
  massive majority for making this the first non-mandated extension
  to C++.  At that point, Beth Crockett from Apple stopped the committee
  dead in its tracks by invoking what is known as the "two week rule:"
  Any member can postpone voting on a proposal that has not been in
  the hands of the members at least two weeks before the meeting until
  the following meeting.  This rule protects people against being rushed
  into things they don't understand and ensures that there will always
  be time to consult with colleagues.

  As you might imagine, Beth didn't gain instant popularity by that
  veto.  However, her caution was well founded, and she saved us from
  making a bad mistake.  Thanks!  As we reexamined the problem after
  the meeting, Doug McIlroy [[found a better solution]]

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -color to reply]" <dr.j.thornb...@gmail-pink.com>
   currently on the west coast of Canada