On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 9:55:09 AM UTC-7 John H Palmieri wrote:

> On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 9:48:29 AM UTC-7 tobias...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I just had another look at the voting thread, where most votes were
>> voiced in the first two days, and the almost-slient discussion thread,
>> where mostly a few practical aspects of the migrations were discussed. From
>> this, I don't get the impression that the most voters felt they needed more
>> time to think or discuss their decision.
>>

> Discussions about the timing of the vote were mainly in the thread
> "incremental migration to github?", not the discussion thread or the vote
> thread.Also, I'm not sure it matters what "most voters" felt. If a few
> people felt the need to delay, that should have an effect.

In general I agree with you, but for what it's worth, I certainly thought
that David had reached a thoughtful compromise regarding the voting
timeline in his message of Sep 19.

John, your proposed Oct 1 deadline (from your message on Sep 16) had seemed
to be conditional on interest in including GitLab in the vote, but there
seemed to be little interest in that on the list.
Sebastien's earlier request in his message of Sep 12 lacked concreteness
(he asked that "the discussion on the long term issues should be done when
the urgent short term issues are dealt with").
All earlier requests for delays had asked either (a) for work to be done as
a prerequisite for a discussion (which had been completed by Sep 12 or so),
or (b) for work to stop (which had been retracted after a clarification of
facts).

No discussion of timing happened on the list after David's Sep 19 message
and before the start of the vote (Sep 21); and there were also no requests
for extensions of the deadline when the vote was open.

(I have compiled a timeline of the relevant messages on the list that I'll
be happy to share with anyone interested)

Matthias