On 2023-04-26 18:38:32, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> Michael, do you happen to have a suggestion what version range of PARI the
> Sage library should be supporting?

PARI doesn't strictly follow semver, so whatever I say here, PARI will
eventually make a fool of me. Still, I think a fair goal is to support
the latest "point" release series, currently 2.15.x.

My comment is about the approach we take to version compatibility
moreso than a hard rule to be followed. For example,

  * We should not be outlawing minor versions of packages for bugs
    that have been fixed upstream,
  * We should not be reproducing in sagelib any tests that are part
    of an upstream package,
  * We should avoid string equality where possible in sagelib tests,

In other words,

  * We should not be going out of our way to break compatibility.

That alone will go quite far, and whatever it gets us is acceptable.