What does this (a discussion of how Sage specifies version restrictions)
have to do with the proposal? If it's relevant, that was not clear in the
original proposal, so please clarify. It sounds like you might be proposing
removing version checks on many of the packages Sage uses, or at least
that's a conclusion I might draw from your critique of the amount of
maintenance for Sage packages. Or maybe you are proposing redesigning the
version specification system? In any case, it wasn't stated as part of the
original proposal, so I don't know what was intended. If it is not relevant
to the proposal, let's drop this part of the discussion.

I would also suggest dropping the question of whether we're "vendoring."
The proposal clearly says that we should stop distributing the tarballs in
the upstream directory, so whatever we call it, that part is clear.

(Maybe by "vendoring" you meant the combination of including the tarballs
and the maintenance on the allowed versions, or maybe just including the
tarballs, or maybe something else. The word "vendoring" does not seem to be
helpful, so instead spelling out exactly what's meant for Sage could be
helpful, at least if you meant more than just removing "upstream".)