I just upgraded a different machine to Catalina. This one didn't have Xcode
or homebrew installed beforehand, so I installed Xcode, its command-line
tools, and homebrew's gcc. Then I built Sage and it worked. I have now
installed a bunch of other homebrew packages relevant to Sage, and the
build is going fine. (I had to log out of the machine, so I had to
interrupt the build, but it had made it past givaro and ntl, which were
sticking points for another user in this thread.)

Thinking back on the other machine I upgraded, that one was also relatively
"clean": no old Xcode or old homebrew stuff. So for those who are having
problems, I wonder if uninstalling Xcode first would help. Maybe there are
some other old libraries which should be removed before installing the new
Xcode.

  John