I am using the same versions of OS and Xcode as you. I am now doing this
with a third computer. This one had an old Xcode and some homebrew stuff
already installed, and it gave me some problems. I ended up uninstalling
and then reinstalling various parts of homebrew, and Sage now builds for
me. (I had also first installed some things by hand, like gfortran many
months ago. So I had to delete things like that when doing the homebrew
installation.)

$ brew list
autoconf        libdvdcss       p7zip
automake        libevent        pari
boost           libffi          pcre
cabextract      libidn2         pkg-config
cimg            libmpc          python
cmake           libomp          readline
emacs-mac       libpng          shared-mime-info
gcc             libtasn1        sqlite
gdbm            libtool         texinfo
gettext         libunistring    unbound
glib            mpfi            unrar
gmp             mpfr            wine
gnutls          nettle          winetricks
gpatch          ntl             x265
icu4c           openexr         xz
ilmbase         openssl         yasm
isl             openssl@1.1
libde265        p11-kit

$ brew --version
Homebrew 2.1.15
Homebrew/homebrew-core (git revision d191f; last commit 2019-11-03)
Homebrew/homebrew-cask (git revision cbd79; last commit 2019-11-03)