Great, thanks John. I have essentially the same version of brew:
Homebrew 2.1.15
Homebrew/homebrew-core (git revision 89bf3; last commit 2019-11-04)
Homebrew/homebrew-cask (git revision e317e; last commit 2019-11-04)

but I have many more brew packages installed. I reinstalled all of the brew
packages last week but I have just uninstalled all of the brew packages. I
will now add everything back in one at a time, starting with things on your
list, and see if I can compile sage. I'll report back what I find.

Andrew