Behalf Of Keith Medcalf

>>>Yes.  The GLOB was invented on Unix.  I posted an example of the Unix
>>>filename globbing (which has not changed, to my knowledge, since the 60's),
>>>which works exactly the same as the GLOB operator in SQLite 3.9.0 through
>>>the current head of trunk.  Perhaps there were minor changes, but nothing
>>>that affects the output of the *[1-9]* or *[^1-9]* patterns when applied to
>>>the same data used in the Linux demonstration.  However, I did not try and
>>>build every single version of SQLite between 3.9.0 to 3.17.0 to see if one
>>>of them happened to be broken.  The two ends and a sampling from the middle
>>>all worked the same.

I believe file system globbing originated on Unix in around 1969. It was not
then thought to bear any particular relationship to regular expressions AFAIK.

>>>And by the way, GLOB predates REGEX by about 15 years.  REGEX borrowed (and
>>>modified) GLOB syntax.

I believe the computer science underlying regex dates from work by Kleene in
1956. I don't have the paper, but my impression is that it had marked
similarities to modern usage. There were competing ideas in early languages
(anyone remember Snobol?) but Thompson provided an implementation of Kleene's
regex in the Unix text editor 'ed' in around 1969, based on even earlier work
at IBM. Using regex in compilers (like lex) came later.

AFAIK glob and regex appeared in Unix at more or less the same time ie very
early, but they were always distinct.

>>>(in case you have never used a Linux/Unix system with an ll command alias,
>>>the command to create it is:  alias ll='ls -l')

>>>Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE that the authors of the third-party tools have not
>>>provided their own GLOB function that works differently, perhaps in
>>>accordance with their Dim Sum because their little hearts did not desire the
>>>built in one?

I would be very disappointed to find that someone was implementing regex and
calling it glob. That would be a mistake. Glob is glob, and Sqlite has it right
IMHO.

Regards
David M Bennett FACS

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org