In my opinion it is the beginning of the end of crappy freemail providers and
their overzealous spam filtering.  And it is about time.

If you run an RFC complaint MTA then there is really very little problem with
SPAM at all -- I have many connections per second rejected for RFC
non-compliance -- and get maybe 3 SPAM messages per day, all of which originate
from the crappy Johhny-cum-lately freemail systems.  It is just that the
Johhny-cum-lately's (freemail, telco's, cableco's) have no idea how to run RFC
compliant Internet Hosts and MTA's that have issues.  Plus those that insist on
being RFC non-compliant so they can communicate with the Johhny-cum-lately
non-RFC compliant hosts and MTA's.

A far better approach is to remain RFC compliant and if someone you want to
communicate with insists on not being an RFC compliant Internet host and MTA,
then tell them to bugger off and use old fashioned snail-mail that does not
require a properly configured host connected to the Internet.

---
lot about anticipated traffic volume.