On Thu, 31 May 2018, R Smith wrote:

Nice idea, but to be honest, I can't remember when last someone cared about "Kilobytes", and I mean embedded people, not big OSes.

I work on embedded projects and we do definitely worry about "kilobytes". This is even though our embedded projects have large resources compared with many other embedded projects. The firmware image for some of our products is consuming all available Flash pages, (except for spares for wear-leveling/repair).

Many embedded projects are very cost-sensitive since they sell into hyper-competitive markets where being a bit more expensive than the competition results in a lack of sales.

The measure of importance is how expensive the DATA storing is, both in size and write-frequency, when committed to some hardware NANDs. The code store section of even the smallest modern embedded system will be designed to fit things many megabytes more than SQLite requires (exceptions may exist, but are really thin on the ground). So then, whether the operating code is given in KB or MiB or KiB is, to my mind, not very relevant - and it too will become untrue in a non-too-distant future.

Your experience is different than mine. What NOR or NAND Flash chip are you using on your PCB? If you are not using a single soldered chip with a specialized flash filesystem (e.g. JFFS2, UBIFS, squashfs on UBI or bare) then perhaps you are just using a small form factor PC which uses components common in laptop PCs.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn