>I understand that BETWEEN gets translated to >=  and =< (bigger or
>equal, and small or equal).

Some time ago I tested and observed different behaviour for BETWEEN in
SQLite (sometime as >= and =<, sometime >= and <), so test it for yourself.

I think it is better to use comparison signs (=,<,>) than BETWEEN.

IMPORTANT!

The BETWEEN...AND operator is treated differently in different databases:

1. BETWEEN..AND selects fields that are between and excluding the test values;
2. BETWEEN..AND selects fields that are between and including the test values;
3. BETWEEN..AND selects fields between the test values, including the first
test value and excluding the last test value.