Hi Christophe,

On 6/4/08, Christophe Leske <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> AND (latitude_DDS BETWEEN 44.261771 and 44.424779)

You might want to check if you can somehow store this data *without*
the decimal point (with the point implied - counting six digits from
right to left) and use *integer* mathematical operators to do the
maths.

> someone suggested to divide up the tables - something which led me to
> the idea to create different views for each class_dds value:
> create view Level1 as Select * from cities where class_dds=1
> So i could do select statements like:
>
> select * from Level1
> Union
> select * from Level2

Perhaps he meant "partitioning" when he said "dividing" and he was
coming from an Oracle background or something ??? This is because
UNIONs are ALWAYS slow unless you are using a higher end RDBMS such as
Oracle where you can take special measures to speed up union using the
Oracle provided facilities.

--
Best regards,

Asif