On Jun 5, 2008, at 12:55 AM, Shane Harrelson wrote:

> Once you get it working with your data, you may want to play around
> with the
> defines at the top of rtree.c.
>

>> /* Either, both or none of the following may be set to activate
>> ** r*tree variant algorithms.
>> */
>> #define VARIANT_RSTARTREE_CHOOSESUBTREE 0
>> #define VARIANT_RSTARTREE_REINSERT 1
>>
>> /*
>> ** Exactly one of the following must be set to 1.
>> */
>> #define VARIANT_GUTTMAN_QUADRATIC_SPLIT 0
>> #define VARIANT_GUTTMAN_LINEAR_SPLIT 0
>> #define VARIANT_RSTARTREE_SPLIT 1
>

> These defines affect the algorithms used for manipulating the internal
> R-Tree data structures, and you may see improved performance by
> tuning it
> for your data.

The algorithms turned on by default are those that seemed to create
the best R-Tree structure for the randomly generated data set that
was used to test performance while writing code (see the rtree_perf.tcl
script in cvs).

Messing around with them might speed up INSERT operations but generate
a tree structure that is a bit slower to query. That's just a guess
though.

If you really care about performance, it is probably worth testing
a few other combinations with "real" data. Please post any results
you get!

Dan.