--- Begin Message ---
[...]

> So the only way to fix this is to turn off the warnings; change
> 39f09d68ce7ebe9e229c9bf5209bfc30a8f51064 adds macros to disable and
> re-enable -Wcast-qual and wraps the offending code in getopt_long.c
> with those macros, so the problem should be fixed on Solaris 9.

The fix works, in that GCC on both OSes now compiles getopt_long.c
cleanly. Neither Sun C on Solaris nor XL C on AIX detected the problem
before, so there is no change there.

Thank you!

[...]

> If there's a way to force XL C to treat it as a hard error, we need
> to update the AC_LBL_CHECK_UNKNOWN_WARNING_OPTION_ERROR autoconf
> macro to set the compiler up to use it when testing whether compiler
> options are supported.

I have tried xlc -qhaltonmsg=1501-289 and -qhalt=w flags, but to no
apparent effect. It looks like warnings that come from the command-line
arguments parsing space are not handled the same way as warnings that
come from the C language compilation space.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---