--- Begin Message ---
On Aug 1, 2021, at 6:08 PM, Denis Ovsienko <de...@ovsienko.info> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 15:45:39 -0700
> Guy Harris <ghar...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> Probably some annoying combination of one or more of "different
>> compilers", "later version of CMake", "at least some versions of cc
>> and gcc build 32-bit binaries by default even on Solaris 11 on a
>> 64-bit machine(!)", and so on.
>>
>> This is going to take a fair bit of cleanup, not the least of which
>> includes forcing build with both autotools *and* CMake to default to
>> 64-bit builds on 64-bit Solaris.
>
> For clarity, there is no rush to fix every obscure issue in this
> problem space, but it is useful to have the problem space mapped.

At this point, I'm seeing two problems:

1) The pcap-config and libpcap.pc that we generate always include a -L flag,
even if the directory is a system include directory, which means that it could
be wrong in a system with 32-bit and 64-bit libraries in separate directories.
Debian removes that from pcap-config to avoid that problem.  We shouldn't add
-L in that case.

2) Tcpdump needs to work around that when configuring.

The first is definitely our bug, given that Debian is working around it.

The second would be helpful; we already work around Apple screwing up
pcap-config by having the one they ship with macOS include -L/usr/local/lib for
no good reason.

--- End Message ---