I have a file in HDFS inside my HortonWorks HDP 2.3_1 VirtualBox VM.

If I go into the guest spark-shell and refer to the file thus, it works fine

  val words=sc.textFile("hdfs:///tmp/people.txt")
  words.count

However if I try to access it from a local Spark app on my Windows host, it
doesn't work

  val conf = new SparkConf().setMaster("local").setAppName("My App")
  val sc = new SparkContext(conf)

  val words=sc.textFile("hdfs://localhost:8020/tmp/people.txt")
  words.count

Emits

The port 8020 is open, and if I choose the wrong file name, it will tell me

My pom has

        <dependency>
                        <groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>
                        <artifactId>spark-core_2.11</artifactId>
                        <version>1.4.1</version>
                        <scope>provided</scope>
                </dependency>

Am I doing something wrong?