I wouldn't try to play with forwarding & tunnelling; always hard to work out
what ports get used everywhere, and the services like hostname==URL in paths.

Can't you just set up an entry in the windows /etc/hosts file? It's what I do
(on Unix) to talk to VMs

> On 25 Aug 2015, at 04:49, Dino Fancellu <d...@felstar.com> wrote:
>
> Tried adding 50010, 50020 and 50090. Still no difference.
>
> I can't imagine I'm the only person on the planet wanting to do this.
>
> Anyway, thanks for trying to help.
>
> Dino.
>
> On 25 August 2015 at 08:22, Roberto Congiu <roberto.con...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Port 8020 is not the only port you need tunnelled for HDFS to work. If you
>> only list the contents of a directory, port 8020 is enough... for instance,
>> using something
>>
>> val p = new org.apache.hadoop.fs.Path("hdfs://localhost:8020/")
>> val fs = p.getFileSystem(sc.hadoopConfiguration)
>> fs.listStatus(p)
>>
>> you should see the file list.
>> But then, when accessing a file, you need to actually get its blocks, it has
>> to connect to the data node.
>> The error 'could not obtain block' means it can't get that block from the
>> DataNode.
>> Refer to
>> http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP1/HDP-1.2.1/bk_reference/content/reference_chap2_1.html
>> to see the complete list of ports that also need to be tunnelled.

>>> Changing the ip to the guest IP address just never connects.
>>>
>>> The VM has port tunnelling, and it passes through all the main ports,
>>> 8020 included to the host VM.
>>>
>>> You can tell that it was talking to the guest VM before, simply
>>> because it said when file not found
>>>
>>> Error is:
>>>
>>> Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job
>>> aborted due to stage failure: Task 0 in stage 0.0 failed 1 times, most
>>> recent failure: Lost task 0.0 in stage 0.0 (TID 0, localhost):
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.BlockMissingException: Could not obtain block:
>>> BP-452094660-10.0.2.15-1437494483194:blk_1073742905_2098