Changing the ip to the guest IP address just never connects.

The VM has port tunnelling, and it passes through all the main ports,
8020 included to the host VM.

You can tell that it was talking to the guest VM before, simply
because it said when file not found

Error is:

Exception in thread "main" org.apache.spark.SparkException: Job
aborted due to stage failure: Task 0 in stage 0.0 failed 1 times, most
recent failure: Lost task 0.0 in stage 0.0 (TID 0, localhost):
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.BlockMissingException: Could not obtain block:
BP-452094660-10.0.2.15-1437494483194:blk_1073742905_2098
file=/tmp/people.txt

but I have no idea what it means by that. It certainly can find the
file and knows it exists.