In a commerical (C)EP like say StreamBase, or for example its competitor
Apama, the arrival of an input event **immediately** triggers further
downstream processing.

This is admitadly an asynchronous approach, not a synchronous clock-driven
micro-batch approach like Spark's.

I suppose if one wants to split hairs / be philosophical, the clock rate of
the microprocessor chip underlies everything.  But I don't think that
is quite the point.

The point is that an asychonrous event-driven approach is as continuous /
immediate as **the underlying computer hardware will ever allow.**. It
is not limited by an architectural software clock.

So it is asynchronous vs synchronous that is the key issue, not just the
exact speed of the software clock in the synchronous approach.

It isalso indeed true that latencies down to the single digit microseconds
level can sometimes matter in financial trading but rarely.

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

LinkedIn *

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com