On 2014-12-16 16:45, Tim wrote:
Allegedly, on or about 16 December 2014, Chris Murphy sent:
Android 7.61MB. This just displays them, there's no creation or
modification as far as I'm aware. So it's possible most of the code
complexity is in the creation and modification.

The point is that as any software becomes more capable it necessarily
gets bigger. It gets more capable because more people are using,
supporting, and coding it. And users are continuously asking for new
features and that means it's going to get bigger.

So I'm suggesting any successful PDF creator/modifier is going to be a
big binary.

But when one application gets as big as an entire operating system, or
even bigger?!  I can't believe that a well designed application should
need to be that bloated.  And it's only a document handler, not a bloody
virtual reality flight simulator.

Have to remember that an application will offer much more than the OS. The OS is a base and the graphics is built onto the base.

In comparison to Windows 8.1, Linux (Fedora 19) with all applications is still very small. My wife's laptop with a 100G Windows partition is full. My full / is only 27G including all applications.

A base terminal OS will be very small if you want it to be.

Robin

--
Free, full feature astronomy program at
    http://www.stellarium.org