definitely option [a]

respecting platform default encoding is the convention with the highest
weight,
and option [b] simply breaks this convention by not respecting platform
default encoding.

e.g., in Linux, if LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-16 has been set,
one will be very confused in case of option [b], when maven uses another
encoding such as utf-8
this is just an example and may not be the actual case, surely I know utf-8
is a good thing

furthermore, if a lot of applications behave like option [b], but
unfortunately they use inconsistent default encoding,
then you know what a hell is.

and always respecting platform default encoding is the correct way to make
an application encoding-transparent
so the application developer don't need to worry about converting
back-n-forth between several encodings/charsets,
given the context of a standalone system as a sandbox.

IMO, e.g.,  networking related applications, have to deal with encoding,
this is by nature, since network is used to connect
people from different places.

If the developer of a multi-encoding application don't understand what
encoding is, he/she should learn it, you just
can not assume the multi-encoding application as a single-encoding
application

an encoding, to a text parser application, is like the language spoked to
the audience,  you just can not assume
the speaker of any lecture always uses English.

It's easy for people to know that there are so many languages spoked in the
world, it's just one more step further
to understand that "different" text parsers also read in different encodings