+1 for a)

- People that don't care about it don't need to worry
- It works similarly within groups that share the same encodings
- When it breaks, because cross-unicode-script contributors are involved,
then it needs to be specified in the pom.

The downside of b) is that it forces all those who don't use latin-1 to set
it in the pom, even if they're all using the same default encoding.

Note: it would probably be a good idea to include the encoding used (whether
default or set) in the plugin report information.