Benjamin Bentmann schrieb:
> Rainer Pruy wrote:
>
>> I'm still not convinced that we will get their by trading one problematic
>> default for another.
>
> I am not saying that this is the ultimate solution. I only believe it's a
> compromise and improvement until we can introduce a new POM version in
> Maven
> 2.1, comparable to the Maven 2.0.9 Super POM locking down some plugin
> versions.
>
>> As stated already, one way is creating and improving awareness, e.g. by
>> flagging any problematic access to a file or better stop working (for
>> "new" projects) if encoding is not stated explicitly.
>
> Once it's time to discuss the POM 4.1, we can surely come back to this and
> consider if the encoding setting should have a default value of simply be
> required by the user.
>
> Alternatively, we could right now for Maven 2.0.x make plugins declare
> their
> encoding parameter to be @required. This will definitively halt the
> build in
> case the user did not specify an encoding. With regard to awareness, that
> would surely be the cleanest solution. Is that were you would Maven see
> to go?

Yes, I do consider this a cleaner solution and causing much more positive
effective than changing some defaults

>> Sigh, I'm a bit idealistic, I know....
>
> Never mind, if you can accept me being a little of a radical ;-)

Wellcome to the club...

> Benjamin

Rainer Pruy
Geschäftsführer

Acrys Consult GmbH & Co. KG
Untermainkai 29-30, D-60329 Frankfurt
Tel: +49-69-244506-0 - Fax: +49-69-244506-50
Web: http://www.acrys.com -  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Handelsregister: Frankfurt am Main, HRA 31151