Hi Eric,

At the risk of repeating myself, I agree that the strength of YouTube
is to have a place where you can have an audience and be seen.  I
also agree that that has the potential for great power.  And I'm not
rejecting YouTube on principle, or because I'm particularly
ideologically driven to have my own site, or so full of
'individuality and wanting something better'.

All the strengths you mention are great, but are all undercut for me
by the competitiveness at the center of YouTube - the ratings and
number of views, comments, honours, number of times honoured and
favourited.  It drags my videos into being watched in the context of
how successful they've been, when all I want is to put some video up
there to be watched by some random people in unexpected places around
the world - to put the video at the center, not wrapped around by all
these judgements that interfere with the viewer's perception and my
enjoyment.

On YouTube a few hundred views feels like a very, very different
thing to on a blog.  It's my gift to strangers, and I don't have to
care if they don't like it.  Even with a couple of hundred views, and
without really trying, I'm reaching out further I ever did when i
used to show my 'proper' shorts at short film festivals.

What slightly depresses me is that there'll be lots of people out
there like me who just feel inspired every so often to film and edit
something and put it out there, who will find their engagement with
an audience all screwed up by YouTube's tone, and then they'll think
"Publishing on the internet is horrible" because all they've heard
about is YouTube, and they'll stop and never do it again.  When they
could have had a very different non-competitive experience and made
their world a tiny bit happier and better.  It's turning Online Video
into high school rules.  Ugh.

I don't really want to make money from it, mostly because I want to
be free to put up whatever I want without worrying about alienating
my regular large audience or drawing "BORING" and "YOU SUCK"
comments, and so growing and sustaining large audience numbers are
not important to me.  Most people who post on YouTube would never
make money from it (whatever its competitive/popularity focus might
lead them to hope at first).

Glad you're getting paid to vlog, though, and enjoying it.  Always
liked your vlogs whenever I've seen them.  I'm subscribed to Everyday
films with Eric Rice, but I guess it's wrong feed cos I'm not getting
anything through it.

Rupert

http://www.fatgirlinohio.org
http://feeds.feedburner.com/fatgirlinohio/