As always I have stories, but this time I'll just provide links and
search terms..

http://www.ascap.com/licensing/

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/?link=navbar

http://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/C1176

You should be able to find plenty of info using these search terms:
ASCAP and BMI, ASCAP and BMI and VIOLATIONS, ASCAP and BMI and BAR and
CLUB.