Hi,
We've been experimenting with the styling of the details element, trying to figure out the most sensible way style it. We have tried to find a solution that behaves the way authors expect, provides for easy restyling by authors and avoiding the troubles associated with magic styles that can't be expressed in CSS.

The rendering section of the spec is currently very inadequate and does not describe accurate styles. Also, the sample XBL binding given in the XBL 2.0 draft is also inadequate for a number of reasons.

== Requirements ==

In designing the solution, we have a number of requirements that we are trying to meet as best we can.

1. The disclosure triangle must be styleable by authors, either to replace with their own icon, remove it entirely, or possibly adjust other common styles.

2. Styling the disclosure triangle should not require complicated hacks with margins, padding or otherwise, to hide the default disclosure icon and replace with a custom icon.

3. The default styles that apply directly to the details and summary elements must be quite simple, such as display, margin and/or padding.

4. The styles applied to the elements in the shadow tree must not have significant adverse effects on the details or summary elements, nor the surrounding content. (We should avoid floating or other styles that may give unexpected results in certain conditions.)

5. If authors change the 'display' style of either the details or summary elements (e.g. inline, table-cell, etc.), the result should be sensible, and not have any unexpected results caused by the styling of the shadow tree. The binding template must not introduce extra whitespace between elements that would affect the rendering in such cases.

6. We cannot require, nor expect, authors to use XBL to restyle these elements. (We aren't actually implementing it with XBL, but we have been discussing it in terms of XBL for future compatibility with it)

7. The content and styling of the shadow tree must not adversely affect the use of ::before and ::after pseudo-elements applied to either details or summary. (Note: Chromium's <details> implementation has some strange handling for details::before, preferring to render it after the summary instead of before.)

8. The special summary styling, including the placement of the disclosure widget, should only apply to the first child summary element of the details. Subsequent summary elements must not be rendered in unexpected ways.

9. The default action of opening/closing the details should only apply when the user clicks on either the summary text or the disclosure triangle. It should not apply if the user clicks on the other content within the details element.

10. The summary element must be focussable by default and keyboard activation must be possible. The focus ring should be drawn around the summary element and/or the disclosure triangle, and not the entire details element.

11. The disclosure triangle and any applicable margins and padding must render on the opposite side and point the opposite direction for RTL languages.

12. It is preferred to reuse as much existing CSS styles as possible to achieve the effects, avoiding unnecessary creation of special properties or values without a good reason.

== Problems with the Spec ==

*Rendering*

There are a number of problems with the way in which the rendering section describes how to render details [2].

When the details binding applies to a details element, the element is
expected to render as a 'block' box with its 'padding-left' property
set to '40px' for left-to-right elements (LTR-specific) and with its
'padding-right' property set to '40px' for right-to-left elements.

The first container is expected to contain at least one line box, and
that line box is expected to contain a disclosure widget (typically
a triangle), horizontally positioned within the left padding of the
details element.

According to these requirements, the details element should be rendered something like this:

  +---+-------------------------+
  | > | Details                 |
  |   +-------------------------|
  |   | The content goes here   |
  +-----------------------------+

This is analogous to how it works for ul and ol. However, this creates a substantial amount of padding on the left which authors are likely to want to remove or otherwise significantly reduce in most cases.

An alternative approach is to apply a small amount of margin or padding to the summary element alone, just enough to render the disclosure triangle within, leaving the remaining content unindented. In this case, a margin or padding of 1em would be a more reasonable size. 40px is too much

  +---+-------------------------+
  | > | Details                 |
  +---+-------------------------|
  | The content goes here       |
  +-----------------------------+

Note that Chromium's current implementation has an appearance visually like this, and it more closely matches similar native mechanisms on platforms that do not indent the content below the disclosure widget. See, e.g. the screenshot of the Mac Info dialog from the spec.

http://images.whatwg.org/sample-details-2.png

We think that this latter style is a better default style to aim for and would like to get feedback regarding this issue. In any case, it should be trivial for authors to achieve either effect by adjusting the margin and/or padding of the summary and details element.

*The Effect of the Shadow Tree*

The element's shadow tree is expected to take the element's first
child summary element, if any, and place it in a first 'block' box
container, and then take the element's remaining descendants, if any,
and place them in a second 'block' box container.

For reference, this maps to this sample binding from the XBL draft:

<template allow-selectors-through="true">
</template>

The problem with this design is that it inserts new layout boxes into the design that the author has no control over, which limits the ability of authors to restyle summary and details. (This issue will be discussed in more detail later)

The second container is expected to have its 'overflow' property set
to 'hidden'. When the details element does not have an open
attribute, this second container is expected to be removed from the
rendering.

Setting 'overflow: hidden;' will not have any effect on the second container without there being a specified height. But it's not entirely clear what the desired effect of that requirement is.

If the author specifies a height on the details element, then the overflow should be handled by the 'overflow' property that is applied to it by the author, rather than on any shadow content to which they have no access. Setting 'overflow' to 'hidden' on the shadow content would never actually cause anything to be hidden under any conditions.

*Activation Behaviour*

The spec does not clearly define activation behaviour. Ideally, the default action of opening and closing should only occur when the user clicks the summary element or the disclosure triangle. it should not occur when clicking elsewhere.

In future implementations that support XBL, it should be possible for authors to change the binding of the details element for layout purposes, while still retaining the default action associated with the summary element. Therefore, it seems unwise for this functionality to be implemented via a binding, and would prefer instead that it be specified as the summary element's activation behaviour.

It should also be possible for this default action to be cancelled with evt.preventDefault() called within an event listener, which will allow scripts or bindings to provide their own custom behaviour if desired.

== Problems Encountered While Developing a Solution ==

After many experiments with different styles and simulated bindings, we encountered numerous problems that made it difficult to achieve the desired outcome using bindings.

*Interfering Shadow Elements*

When the binding template used two block level elements to render the content, like so:

<template>
</template>

This produced undesirable renderings in a number of cases where authors specify the following styles:

  details, summary { display: inline; }

The divs in the binding still render as block, causing this inline style to have little apparent visual effect. At first we thought we could address this by making those elements inline (using <span> instead), but then we still found we ran into trouble with this case:

  details { display: table; }
  details>summary, details>div { display: table-cell; }

Assume this markup:

  <details>
    <summary>Summary</summary>
  </details>

Authors would expect the summary and div, as siblings, to render as table cells side-by-side.

  +===========================+
  | ......................... |
  | : +---------+---------+ : |
  | : | Summary | Content | : |
  | : +---------+---------+ : |
  | :.......................: |
  +===========================+

  ... : Anonymous table row box
  === : Table box (details element)
  --- : Table cell boxes

Yet because of the block styled divs or inline styled spans in the binding, this would instead result in separate anonymous table and table-row boxes generated around each element, rendered inside the block boxes. Thus, they would still be rendered one on top of the other instead of side by side.

  +=================++=================+
  | ............... || ............... |
  | : +---------+ : || : +---------+ : |
  | : | Summary | : || : | Content | : |
  | : +---------+ : || : +---------+ : |
  | :.............: || :.............: |
  +=================++=================+

  === : Inline boxes from the binding (<span> elements)
  ... : Anonymous table and table row boxes
  --- : Table cell boxes

(I simplified the diagram to leave out the details element table box, and the anonymous table-row and table-cell boxes that would be generated around all of that)

This effectively makes two independent tables, rather than a single table with two cells. Depending on the content or other styles, it could, for example, result in the two cells unexpectedly having different heights or wrapping around onto separate lines.

The result doesn't comply with requirements #4 or #5, and is thus unsuitable for our needs. On its own, it would require authors to use XBL to create their own binding with their own layout template in order to effectively restyle the elements, which doesn't comply with requirement #6.

We thus determined that we needed to find a solution that either gave authors access to this shadow content from CSS, or which didn't generate any additional layout boxes around the summary or content.

*Rendering the Disclosure Triangle*

Another problem was trying to find a suitable method that would allow us to render the disclosure triangle without internal magic, leaving it styleable by authors.

We want to avoid a situation like that with fieldset and legend, where authors are severely limited in their ability to restyle the elements. We also want to avoid an implementation like that in current Chromium builds, where some internal magic has been used to insert the disclosure triangle in a way that seems impossible to remove, and which breaks when various styles are applied to details and/or summary.

The first approach we tried was to use the binding to insert a box into the rendering, and allow it to be addressed by a pseudo-element.

Our first thought was to reuse ::marker from the CSS3 Lists draft, but didn't think it was sensible to hijack that from list-item boxes for this purpose. So we experimented with a different name instead.

  <binding id="summary">
    <template>
      <content>Details</content>
    </template>
  </binding>

This would be applied to the summary element.

  details>summary:first-of-type { binding: details.xml#summary; }

We would then use the 'content' property to insert a suitable character glyph or image to render the disclosure triangle.

  details>summary::-o-disclosure {
    content: "▸"; /* U+25B8 BLACK RIGHT-POINTING SMALL TRIANGLE */
    margin-left: 1em;
    width: 1em;
  }
  details[open]>summary::-o-disclosure {
    content: "▾"; /* U+25BE BLACK DOWN-POINTING SMALL TRIANGLE */
  }
  summary { padding-left: 1em; }

The negative margin is used to push the disclosure widget to the outside of the box and then compensate for that to prevent it going too far by adding padding to the summary element. This had the effect of rendering the disclosure triangle within the padding of the summary.

i.e. The resulting layout looked like this:

  +---+-------------------------+
  | ▸ | Details                 |
  +---+-------------------------|

This worked well in some cases, but we ran into troubles when other pseudo-elements were used as well.

  summary::before { content: "x"; }

Because of the way ::before is defined, it would still be inserted before the ::-o-disclosure box, and due to the negative margin, the disclosure triangle would render on top of it. This was unacceptable, and so we needed to find a way to make sure the disclosure widget always rendered before any ::before content.

One possibility would be to insert a new element into the binding after the marker, like so:

  <template>
    <content>Details</content>
  </template>

But XBL as defined does not allow for the ::before pseduo-element to be remapped like that.

We tried various other permutations of templates, moving elements around in the binding to position the ::-o-disclosure box outside of the summary box. Each presented its own set of layout problems under certain circumstances.

For example, there were unexpected consequences when the summary element wrapped around, causing the summary text to flow underneath the disclosure triangle. Ideally, the rendering should look like this:

  ▸ This is a summary that wraps
    around onto multiple lines

But in some cases, the result looked this this:

  ▸ This is a summary that wraps
  around onto multiple lines

In extreme cases, it because possible for the disclosure triangle to become unintentionally visually separated from the summary.

e.g. With this author style applied:

  summary { display: inline; }

The following could happen in some of our experiments.  Assume this markup:

The rendering could place the disclosure triangle in a separate line box from the summary, which is undesirable.

  line box with content before. ▸
  Summary wrapped to the next line

Other experiments we tried resulted in other similarly unacceptable renderings; used unreasonable amounts of CSS; or used fragile styles like floats that could unexpectedly affect surrounding content, which we really want to avoid. and so ultimately, we decided that we could not use bindings effectively to insert such an element to render the disclosure triangle, and we needed another solution.

*Hiding and Showing the Content*

Given that there is no explicit container around the content of details excluding the summary, we still needed the binding to contain an element that we could style with display:none; when in the closed state.

  <template allow-selectors-through="true">
      :bound-element:not([open]) #content { display: none; }
    <content includes=":bound-element>summary:first-of-type"></content>
  </template>

This method would effectively hide and show the content depending on the state of the open attribute, exactly as specified. But then we still ran into the trouble described above in the display:table-cell; case described earlier.

While it was useful to have the element there in the closed (display:none;) state, it became a nuisance in the open state. We therefore needed to find a solution that would make the shadow element disappear from the layout entirely when it wasn't needed in the open state, yet still keep it around for the closed state, or to somehow make it accessible to authors for styling.

== Proposed Solutions ==

*Rendering the Disclosure Triangle*

We eventually found that we could make use of display: list-item; and a custom list-style to render the disclosure triangle beside the summary.

This approach has a number of advantages over the previous attempts we tried using bindings.

* It allows us to take advantage of existing infrastructure
* It handles the ::before pseudo-element case correctly, which wasn't
  handled well with our previous experiments.
* It also gives authors a familiar and easy way to provide custom icons
  using 'list-style'.
* In the future, it should also give us the ::marker pseudo-element
  for free, if and when that gets implemented.

One limitation we discovered with this approach is that Opera currently does not register click events when the user clicks on the bullet when 'list-style-position' is 'outside'. We prefer to keep this as 'outside' rather than 'inside' so that the disclosure triangle is rendered in the margin of the summary element.

We consider this to be a bug in our implementation, since the ::marker should be considered to be a descendant of the element (just like ::before). Other implementations in Gecko and WebKit do register click events, but they limit the clickable area to the small region where the bullet is rendered. It may be better if the clickable area was made larger so that it is easier for users to click.

To render this, the following CSS should be applied by the UA stylesheet.

  details {
    display: block;
  }

  details>summary:first-of-type {
    display: list-item;
margin-left: 1em; /* LTR-specific: use 'margin-right' for rtl elements */
    list-style-type: -o-disclosure-closed;
  }

  details[open]>summary:first-of-type  {
    list-style-type: -o-disclosure-open;
  }

Variations:

* It is also possible for us to specify 40px padding on the details
  element as currently specified, rather than the 1em margin on the
  summary.

* As an alternative to defining new 'list-style-type' values, it is
  also possible that we could achieve the effects using
  'list-style-image'. i.e.

    list-style-image: url(disclosure-closed.svg);
    list-style-image: url(disclosure-open.svg);

  However, 'list-style-type' has some advantages
  to consider:

  - 'list-style-type' allows the disclosure icons to be handled like
    existing list bullets (disc, circle, etc.), making them available
    for use on lists too.
  - The colour of the list-style-type is inherited from the element,
    the 'list-style-image' is not.

I have created a simulated version with JavaScript to show the visual layout of this approach. This demo uses 'list-style-image' and works best in Opera or Firefox 4. WebKit does not support SVG images for 'list-style-image', and so it renders the default disc bullet instead.

It uses tabindex="0" to allow keyboard focussing. In Opera, the click event fires when Enter is pressed while focussed, demonstrating keyboard accessibility. In Opera, due to the aforementioned bug, clicking the disclosure triangle won't work. Click the summary text instead, which works in all browsers.

http://lachy.id.au/dev/2011/details.html

*Showing and Hiding the Content*

There are three possible solutions that we have considered to address these issues.

1. Define a new special 'display' type that means the element generates
   no layout box itself, but still renders the content.

2. Dynamically change the binding to add and remove the shadow element
   as needed based on the open/closed state of the details element.

3. Define a new pseudo-element specifically for addressing the content
   area.

*New 'display' Type*

The proposal is to introduce a new special value for 'display' that means to not generate any layout box for the element, but still render its contents. i.e. Behave as if the element weren't there for layout purposes.

For this, we came up with:

  display: transparent;

In theory, this would allow the binding to change the 'display' of the the shadow element from 'none' in the closed state to 'transparent' in the open state, thus hiding and showing the content as required.

  <template allow-selectors-through="true">
      #content { display: none; }
      :bound-element[open] #content { display: transparent; }
    <content includes=":bound-element>summary:first-of-type"></content>
  </template>

Advantages:

This is a very general purpose solution which I suspect will be useful in many other bindings to solve similar problems.

Limitations:

A problem with this approach is that, depending on how existing CSS layout implementations work, it may introduce some complexity or implementation difficulties. In particular, our layout developers expressed concern that there might be some internal implementation complexities introduced by such a feature.

However, as this is an internal implementation issue, it's not clear if such concerns would apply generally to all implementations, or if other implementations wouldn't have any significant difficulty with it.

*Dynamically Changing the Binding*

The next approach we came up with is to apply separate bindings based on the state of the details element. That is, have one binding for the open state that rendered the content without any added elements in the shadow tree, and another for the closed state that hid the remaining content.

For this, we designed these bindings:

  <binding id="details-closed">
    <template allow-selectors-through="true">
    </template>
  </binding>

  <binding id="details-open">
    <template allow-selectors-through="true">
      <content></content>
    </template>
  </binding>

The first uses a span element in the shadow tree to hide the content, the latter simply includes the content directly without any surrounding span element.

The User Agent style sheet needed to apply these, including rendering the disclosure triangle, looks like this:

  details {
    display: block;
    binding: url(details.xml#details-closed);
  }

  details[open] {
    binding: url(details.xml#details-open);
  }

  details>summary:first-of-type {
    display: list-item;
    margin-left: 1em; /* margin-right for RTL */
    list-style-type: -o-disclosure-closed;
    binding: url(details.xml#summary);
  }

  details[open]>summary:first-of-type  {
    list-style-type: -o-disclosure-open;
  }

(This CSS is the same as before, but with added bindings)

With this approach, given an implementation that does actually use XBL, it would mean that the bindings would be attached and detached as the state of the details changes.

To illustrate how this works, I'll show what the shadow tree should look like when applied to a simple details/summary example:

  <details>
    <summary>Summary</summary>
  </details>

In the closed state, the shadow tree should look like this:

  details

  +-- template

      +-- content includes="summary"
      |   |
      |   +-- Summary
      |       |
      |       +-- Details

      +-- span style="display:none;"

          +-- content

This results in a final flattened tree that looks like this:

  details

  +-- summary

  +-- span style="display:none;"

      +-- p

In the open state, the shadow tree should look like this:

  details

  +-- template

      +-- content includes="summary"
      |   |
      |   +-- Summary
      |       |
      |       +-- Details

      +-- content

This results in a final flattened tree that looks like this:

  details

  +-- summary

  +-- p

Limitations:

This approach, however, may introduce some significant overhead as the bindings are attached and detached. It also means that if an author wishes to provide their own binding in a future XBL-supporting implementation, they would have to override the binding for both states.

*New Pseudo-Elements*

The final solution is to introduce special new pseudo-elements specifically for use with details that would surround the content, excluding the summary. This could be represented in the binding as follows:

  <binding id="details-closed">
    <template allow-selectors-through="true">
    </template>
  </binding>

UA styles could then be used to hide and show the content as needed

  details::-o-content {
    display: none;
  }
  details[open]::-o-content {
    display: block;
  }

Limitations:

This requires the creation of a new element-specific pseudo-element specifically for use with details, which is not as nice as a more general purpose solution that can be applied to other situations. It also doesn't really address the problem directly, but instead merely provides authors with a workaround.

== Open Issues ==

1. The summary should be focusable for keyboard navigation and activation. This can't use tabindex in the binding, but rather should be handled natively by the implementation like links or form controls. For consistency, it needs to be possible to override if the author sets <summary tabindex="-1">.

2. Should the default "Details" string change based on the user's browser language, the page's language, or not change at all?

3. As stated earlier, we would like feedback regarding padding/margin issue.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/2006/xbl2/#simple-shadow-example
[2] http://whatwg.org/C#the-details-element-0
[3] http://images.whatwg.org/sample-details-2.png
[4] http://lachy.id.au/dev/2011/details.html