Lachlan Hunt wrote:

Regardless of whether or not we agree on a common glyph to use for
this, we should at least agree on the applicable CSS styles used to achieve
the rendering, which is essential so that authors have an easier time
override them with their own styles.

It’s far too premature to consider such things. We don’t know what are the feasible or optimal renderings of <details> elements. Actually, if you wish to make them widely understood and used, you _don’t_ want to encourage authors to suggest their idiosyncratic renderings. On the average, a web author, left alone, creates a much poorer user interface than a person designing a web browser – simply because the latter is some kind of a professional in such matters.

If we use 'list-style-type', it seems reasonable to at least agree on
a common list-style-type value.

Why should we use list-style-type for something that clearly ain’t no list?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/