jida...@jidanni.org wrote:
> Someone posted a link to
>> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/wiki/Category:Hogtie_bondage
>
> Delving further, we find
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/wiki/Main_Page says
> Welcome to Wikimedia Commons, when in fact the real site is
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page . Or is it?
>
> In fact on any page on either site, one cannot find any link to the
> corresponding page on the other site.
>
> So now everybody will be passing around two times the amount of links to
> what in fact is the same material.
>
> OK, I found the pattern for converting one to the other:
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/wiki/Category:Hogtie_bondage
> _________________ http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Hogtie_bondage
>
> One would hope the owners of Wiki[pm]would redirect etc. one to the
> other, to stem the proliferation of non-canonical links.

What in the Christ are you talking about?

Reading with squinted eyes and a cocked head, it sounds like you've
discovered the secure site. It's documented here:

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Secure_server
* http://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/secure.wikimedia.org

I have no idea what this has to do with hogtie bondage or why a post to this
mailing list (or the gendergap mailing list, for that matter) was necessary.

MZMcBride